Want to gain experience learning to care for animals, want to help educate visitors about native wildlife, have a green thumb and a passion for native plants, or just want to help the Nature Center thrive? The Nature Center needs volunteers throughout the year to assist with cleaning animal habitats, interacting with visitors, preparing diets, horticulture, administration, special events, and more.
Qualifications to become a volunteer:
- Be over the age of 18.
- Be available at least one day per week for at least two hours at a time (9:00-5:00).
- Be able to commit to a regular volunteer shift for a minimum of three months.
- Be punctual, dependable, hardworking, trustworthy, and willing to learn!
- Be friendly and courteous! Some positions have more visitor interaction than others, but all positions have some interaction with the public.
- Note: Certain volunteer opportunities may require additional skills or training. If you have skills you’d like to share with us, please contact the volunteer coordinator for more information.
For additional information about volunteering and for the volunteer application, please visit the Friends of the WNC Nature Center's website here.
Under 18? The Nature Center also provides several regular opportunities for teen volunteers over age 13. Please visit the Teen Programs page for more information. At this time, we do not offer regular volunteer opportunities for youth under age 13. For school/senior projects or youth group volunteer projects, please contact the Education Department by calling 828-259-8080.